[Cdt-l] A Grand Proposal...final take

lynne whelden lwgear at juno.com
Sat Jan 21 14:15:46 CST 2012

I don't want to try and "sell" this idea. Either you "get it" or you don't.  Many of you don't feel you need a surveyor tape system. Well, that's because you're seasoned hikers. You wouldn't even be subscribing to this list if you weren't. You're the 1%.

This proposal, as I said before, is for the sake of the 99% who WANT to hike, who SHOULD be hiking, but for any number of reasons are not. As we all know, the average Joe who does just a modicum of research on the CDT will find many reasons NOT to do it...getting lost being at the top of their list. That one solitary fact, to me, is a crying shame.

So this tape system is for the challenged hiker. But it's only a temporary stop-gap measure. It can easily be dismantled over time, as money flows in and other organizations assume responsibility. It's a way of getting something (anything being better than nothing) in place while the opportunity exists. For once another CDTx arises, they'll want to take over and do it the way they see fit.

And finally, this is meant to be done in the spirit of Edward Abbey's Monkey Wrench Gang. If you've read the book, they didn't fret over what was legal or what was politically correct. They operated under the radar, with stealth and with passion.

So if you're hung up with what's proper, this isn't for you. If you don't care about the 99%, this isn't for you. If you're upset because this might not look good to the eyes, it's not for you.

If you want to get the trail marked for the first time since its inception in the late 70s...here's your chance.

lynne whelden