[Cdt-l] Resupply on the CDT

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 23:34:14 CST 2012

Okay, I'll play.

For my SOBO trip last year I initially planned 6 resupply boxes:

Benchmark Ranch in MT,
Leadore in ID,
Togwotee Mountain Lodge in WY,
South Pass CIty in WY,
Salida in CO,
Pie Town in NM

Later in my planning process I looked at the total weight of *paper* I
would be carrying out of a couple of trail towns (Wolf, Ley, Yogi, DeLorme,
etc) and as a result inserted two more planned boxes, one at Grand Lake CO
(after South Pass City, before Salida), and one at Ghost Ranch NM (after
Salida, before Pie Town).    Didn't need to send food to Grand Lake, but it
was helpful to send food to Ghost Ranch as well.

Ultimately I ended up with an ad hoc food box sent to Twin Lakes CO too, so
that I could carry a bit less food out of Leadville; CO was kicking my butt
to some degree.   As it turned out, the restaurant at Twin Lakes is
permanently shut down, and the little store there is trying to take up the
slack so there was a little better variety than Yogi's guide suggested.
 Offsetting that, however, the store owner considered when I was there
(Sept 19) to be the "end of the season" and so wasn't stocked very well.

I think you really want a box at each of Benchmark Ranch, South Pass City,
Ghost Ranch, and Pie Town --- just nothing to buy at any of those places.
If you go to the Togwotee Lodge (great AYCE breakfast buffet there ...),
then I'd definitely send a box there too; you can make do at the gas
station mini-mart but I wouldn't be inclined to, for me at least it was a
long stretch from there to South Pass City so having a better food
selection mailed was preferable.

Leadore, Salida, and Grande Lake were more just spacing out the distances
so that I got shoes and prescription medication at appropriate intervals
and wasn't carrying too much weight and bulk of guidebook & map pages (!).

Ditto the comments about Yogi's guide --- you're going for 5 months or so,
it's well worth the modest cost to have this information packaged up for
you the way she does it.

          Brian Lewis / Gadget