[Cdt-l] 2 mistakes…cdts route

Frank Gilliland frankgilliland at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 15:57:34 CST 2012

Are  there waypoints for the CDTS route?

The short answer is yes and no.

IMPO:

I believe that there is no "one" official route or for that matter no one static CDTS or CDTA route.
(that is what makes the CDT so much fun)

There is of course a great and current CDTA alignment (and waypoint files) that Bear Creek has posted.
These are I believe primarily the route based on the CDTA alignment.  Go to the Bear Creek web site: www.bearcreeksurvey.com        for all the details.

What we have is a bunch of "Possible" alignments and a preferred trail for both the CDTA and the CDTS.
We also have a J. Ley alignment and alternates based on J. Ley's best trail (and alternates) of the
two above alignments, the actual physical divide, and others…….

So, as a wise, seasoned hiker once said to me as we stood upon an open and un-marked cliff (supposedly the trail);

"This ain't the PCT"
(no disrespect at all to the PCT)  The PCT however, only has a few alternates and only one "official" alignment. It is
mostly on an actual defined tread.

So, get out there and hike your own CDT route.  (HYOR)

There are some gps files based off of the CDTS alignment that are within the "Out of Order" track file set.
This track file is based off of the actual J. Ley alignment with alternates. And there are also some track files
of the Columbus route, etc.

If you want these files contact me off list at:
frankgilliland     at   gmail   dot   com.

I hope I got most of this correct……………..

StarMan