[Cdt-l] Henrys Lake Route

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 2 14:03:41 CST 2012

I was fine with only Ley's maps----and OOOs track on my GPS.  In fact, I
can remember misplacing the trail only twice on the whole route from the
exit of Yellowstone to where it joins the alternate from Macks Inn.  One
of the "misplacements" was where the trail turns 90 degrees east from a
forest road onto an abandoned rail bed heavily used by ATVs.  I missed
the turn there but was rescued by Rubadubdub who learned from some
ATVers whom I'd given directions that I'd headed the wrong direction.
He persuaded the ATVers to come get me and give me a ride, hanging on
the rear of the 4-wheeler for dear life, back to the railroad bed
intersection.  The other was just N of Targhee Pass where I thought I'd
missed a turn and headed back to the pass only to find I'd been on the
"trail" after all.

The new section of trail between the abandoned RR grade and Targhee Pass
was very nice, well-marked and easy to follow, but I don't recall any
water.  There was a fantastic wildflower display there on Aug 3, 2011
(might have been delayed due to heavy snow), but no water from the
beginning of the rail grade until descending into the pass where the
trail crosses some small streams and springs.  I'd carried water from a
stream noted on Ley's map just before the RR grade turnoff, and camped
up on the divide about 10 mi S of the pass from whence I could see the
lights of West Yellowstone and made my reservations for the hostel at
the Madison Hotel.  I highly recommend the hostel and the restaurant
just to the south of it.  The hitch in was easy since I'd met man out
looking for huckleberries and struck up a conversation with him,
eventually yogi-ing a ride----his son had hiked the PCT so he was
familiar with "hiker trash".

There are great resupply options at the two grocery stores in W.
Yellowstone, but the "outfitters" offerings were disappointing.  The
hitch back to the trail was very difficult.  I think I stood by the side
of the road for over two hours until I wound up talking with the wife of
a motorcyclist and her friend started asking me about the trail.  She
and her husband were headed to Sturgis for the Harley rally and I wound
up riding to the pass as a passenger on his Harley.  First ever hitch on
a motorcycle.

The trail north of Targhee Pass starts out on a closed forest road,
joins with an ATV trail near a rock formation called Lions Head and then
gets onto really nice tread.  There is water a couple of places between
Lions Head and the top a climb to Targhee Divide, then again after the
trail switchbacks quickly down 3000 ft to Mile Creek.  There is
newly-built (2010?) trail that crosses Mile Creek and cuts off some of
the road walk on US287 that is shown on Ley's map.  I saw the turnoff,
but didn't take it as I was following the line on Ley's map.  When I got
to Targhee Divide, I was tempted to scramble up Targhee Peak, but
demurred as there were thunderstorms brewing all around and it was
getting late in the day.  I wound up camping at the first level spot
along the trail after the descent from Targhee Divide which was only
about a mile before that turnoff on the new section of trail.  I imagine
Targhee National Forest can give an update on this new section and
explain where ends up.

The road walk along US287 wasn't too bad and there was some nice trail
built on the northbound side of US287.  The section along Hell Roaring
Creek caused some confusion as there's new trail built there that isn't
yet shown on Ley's maps.  Plus, I think both the new and old sections
through there were marked.  The new trail, which I followed, recrossed
Hell Roaring Creek or one of its tributaries and leads to high meadows
with the most spectacular wildflower display I witnessed in my 2011
"chunk" hike from Rawlins to McDonald Pass.  It also passes a spring
before heading back up to the divide.  These are just before the route
from Macks Inn joins.

Handlebar