[Cdt-l] Camera question

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Tue Jan 3 22:47:51 CST 2012

If you're limiting yourself to a camera that works with traditional AA
batteries, you're going to be very limited. These were more common a
number of years ago, but less and less now... Generally, the latest
models are going to have the best features, best quality, and also
consume less power... which means less recharging those customized
batteries. You're probably best-off getting a couple extra batteries,
and put the recharger in a bounce box so you can get to it every few
town stops. Or, if someone is supporting you from a home base, get a
whole bunch of batteries and have them mailed to you as you go... and
mail them back home for recharging. You might be able to sell the extras
when you get done.

If you're looking for a camera specifically for a hike in 2013, you're
probably best off waiting until newer models are released later in 2012
or early 2013 (unless you want one for more general use now as well...)

Just stick to the major brands, and you should do OK. Sure one might be
slightly better in one aspect or another, but they're all pretty decent.
It can be a good idea to read some reviews of whatever you buy before
you get it... try dpreview.com or a few other sites for decent reviews.

-Jonathan