[Cdt-l] CDTA

lynne whelden lwgear at juno.com
Sat Jan 14 07:44:38 CST 2012

The CDTA's closing its doors sent a shock wave through the hiking community. Just when it seemed like there was some momentum building, what with the new data books and the well-organized summer work trips and the ever-increasing volumes of hikers each summer. It personally affected me because I had just released my "Overexposed" CDT documentary and was hoping the CDTA would add it to their store. I was hoping the video would inspire and educate and mobilize.
So now what? Will government agencies keep building trail only to have it lie fallow from then on (as is already the case in places)? Will someone step forward with a new vision for how to organize and marshall the forces of long-distance/long-time hikers who by their very nature are fiercely independent and are suspicious from anything smacking of boards and rules, business-mindedness and corporate donations?
Will the CDT(_) always be a 3rd cousin to the grand ATC and the PCTA? Will the trail ultimately become a fuzzy corridor concept that never quite made it off the ground due to lack of funds and clubs?
lynne whelden
lwgear.com